Friday, June 15, 2007

It All Adds Up

Like many other people, I have struggled to lose weight. When I look at the amount of blubber, I'd like to lose, it seems overwhelming. In March, I enrolled in Weight Watchers (again), and since then I've dropped nearly 14 pounds. I'm not taking it off as fast as I'd like, but it is coming off. SLOWLY. It is adding up.

I have found many similarities in my battle to lose weight to the desire to write. Often when you contemplate writing something, it seems so overwhelming. You might think, "I can't write my memoir, a novel, etc. That's too great a task."

I'm not up to the task of losing 40 pounds, but I am up to the task of burning a pound a week. You may feel that you are not up to the task of writing a complete memoir or a whole book, but I know you can write a page. Everyone can write a page. And if you can write a page the next day, you have two pages, etc. Eventually, with persistence, you have a whole memoir or novel.

What's that old adage: A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

Take that first step. Then take another. And another.

It all adds up.

No comments: